Originally posted on: ‘2010-03-18 13:26:43’, ‘2010-03-18 05:26:43’
This is a draft of the speech given by Leonor Tripon Rosero, mother of the groom.
First, I want to start off by saying best wishes and congratulations to Rej & Oneal! I know that you both have been planning for the past year to have this day be everything that you have both been dreaming of, and everything is just beautiful! I feel honored to have witnessed and enjoy watching your relationship blossom into marriage that you will cherish for the remainder of your lives together.
Today is, of course, a celebration, but not just of the love that has united Rej and Oneal in holy matrimony, but also of the families that have created, moulded and influenced the lives of these two special people.
I’d like to welcome everyone, especially Rej‚Äôs family, Marian, Czar and Boks. It has been really good to meet them and become family-in-laws and friends. What we find gratifying, is that Rej‚Äôs family feel the same about Oneal. They have taken him to their hearts, and I believe that he is now their son, in fact, as well as in law! (for those who don‚Äôt know, Marian had been my speech writer when I was still in PRC, so we have been working w/ each other for the past 4 years) Today, I am proud to be the mother of the man I see here, starting a family of his own and setting out on a great adventure with his beautiful wife, Rej. Now it is customary that on these occasions we offer the happy couple some wordly advice on marriage. First of all some thoughts for both of you:
- Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction.
- A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.
- Success in marriage does not come merely through finding the right mate, but through being the right mate
- Treat each other like you would your cats: Make a fuss of each other, Feed each other well, Let each other off the lead, now and then
- Marriage is very much like driving along a road, yes…. a road
- It can be nice and smooth
- Sometimes it can be slippery
- There can be obstacles in the way, and
- You can go round in circles
- Conditions are sometimes bumpy and you can‚Äôt see through the mist
- But think, before you cross the line, be aware of all the signs
And most important of all… GIVE WAY Some thoughts for Rej:
- If you want something from Oneal , just ask for it. Dont forget he’s a man and hints don’t work.
- When you‚Äôre wrong, say I‚Äôm sorry. When you‚Äôre right, say nothing
- It has been a pleasure getting to know you over these last few years and I know that Oneal knows how lucky he is to have you.
- We are thrilled to have a daughter into our family and we are so happy to have the rest of your wonderful family here to celebrate with us this truly joyous day!
Some thoughts for Oneal:
- Women are made to be loved, not understood.
- Nothing makes a good wife like a good husband
- Finally, never go to bed in the middle of an argument.
- Be a man and stay up and fight.
- You‚Äôve lost anyway so you might as well get it over with.
Anyway Rej and Oneal, I just wanted to say how happy we all are for you. Most of all, we all wish both of you all the very best‚Ä¶‚Ä¶‚Ä¶‚Ä¶‚Ä¶ A long‚Ä¶‚Ä¶ A happy‚Ä¶.. A healthy‚Ä¶‚Ä¶. And a loving life together‚Ä¶..
And that together‚Ä¶‚Ä¶ You come to realize all your shared dreams, desires and plans.
And now, I would like to return to old Winston Churchill for some serious advice for you both:
Never, Never, Never give up‚Ä¶‚Ä¶¬†On loving each other‚Ä¶‚Ä¶.¬†And on working together to make your marriage last‚Ä¶..¬†And on achieving everything that you both want and deserve.
Finally, there is a saying, which goes something like ‚ÄòHappy marriages begin, when we marry the ones we love, and they blossom when we love the ones we marry,‚Äô and I believe there‚Äôs a great deal of truth in that. So, Rej and Oneal, may your marriage be a truly happy one, – and may you both have a long and wonderful life together. I wish you fun and excitement for today‚Ä¶.hopes and dreams for tomorrow‚Ä¶.and love and happiness forever. Actually, all I can really say is that Dad, me and Ron are extremely happy to see the two of you finally married and I think I can speak on behalf of Dad in saying that we can‚Äôt wait to be a LOLO and LOLA, many times over if possible puro twins.
Before I forget, we would also like to offer our sincere thanks and appreciation to those who have worked so hard and long to help put this day together, particularly Rej and Oneal‚Äôs friends, whose contribution really has been invaluable. This is a day that Rej and Oneal will surely cherish for the remainder of their married lives together.
Finally, I want to thank also all of you for coming especially those who came all the way from California, my sister, Nene, our friend, Noyet, the two Ninangs, Divinia from New York and Ruby, from Florida for witnessing Rej and Oneal celebrate this very special day of their lives!
Thank you very much’